Sunday, February 7, 2010

Wild Rincon Valley

Sunday, February 7, 2010:

Today was another crazy day in Rincon Valley. Even though I really like the rain, I felt relieved and happy to wake up this morning to a beautiful sunny day. I loved the sun, but I think I needed to feel the warmth more than anything. After a great run in a muddy Annadel, I did a nice, healthy stint of manual labor. The recent rains helped a frighteningly vigorous bloom of weeds in the onions, so I set out to fight back in favor of the alliums. So there I was, hoeing away on the side of the road. I could hear and see a rowdy Fijian party across the street. I could hear kids playing in the neighborhood below us and a couple other Superbowl parties somewhere nearby. I heard a siren and a police officer went roaring by. Then I saw something in my peripheral vision and I looked up, expecting to see one of the cats that hang around. But what to my delight did I look up to find? A big 'ol red fox, that's what! He or she went trotting through the farm about thirty feet away from where I was working. How cool is that? Only in Rincon Valley do we get multicultural American sports holiday celebrations AND rare wild animals!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! We had foxes at our old house but thankfully they never got into the chickens. Hope the same for you guys!

    ReplyDelete