Thursday, February 4, 2010

Goat Wrestling

Thursday, February 4, 2010:

Those of you are already familiar with our farm have probably heard all about "The Girls." Our two Nubian goats, Shoshanna and Isabella, were Jeff's gift to me on my birthday this past June. I have what I consider to be a very healthy appreciation for the goats. I like them, I think they're cute, funny, and I definitely think they add an authenticity to our farm that only farm animals can. But when the goats are yelling in the middle of the night or when they start eating the crops, I see them for what they are - goats.

Jeff, however, is a very proud Papa. Since the day he got them, he's been over the moon for his girls. The goats' first night at the farm was undoubtedly unnerving for them and they, like most babies, expressed their fear by making A LOT of noise ALL NIGHT LONG. Jeff decided that it would be best for us to sleep in their barn with them...on the floor. Despite our presence, the goats still cried. Jeff's patience was unfailing until they went to the bathroom...on him. I think he started understanding the limited intelligence that accompanies that sweet and goofy demeanor of goats. Since then, we've developed wonderful relationships with the goats. They are treated like princesses. They play, eat, jump, and have the run of the place.

Today, however, they had to get their hooves trimmed - a necessary, but rather awkward exercise. First, we bribed them with grain laden with molasses and other goodies. Then we tried to get them to calmly stand still so that Jeff could trim their hooves. But despite my petting and coaxing and Jeff's gentle touch, the goats did not want to be messed with. I don't think I can describe how strong a full grown goat is. When a goat wants to move, it moves - even if there's a full sized human trying to hold her. In the end, I used my weight to bear hug the goats into submission and Jeff laid on the barn floor trying to get an angle from which he could work.

Even though the goats acted like we were trying to kill them, once we were done, they were happy and seemed to have forgotten the whole ordeal. Goats are clearly masters of forgetting and forgiving. And therein lies the moral of today's story: no matter what uncomfortable ordeals we must face, once we make it through them, make like a goat and just forget it ever happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment