Saturday, February 20, 2010

Princess Priscilla

Saturday, February 20, 2010:

The other day I was taking apart bulbs of last year's garlic so that I could plant them for this year. I was working at a table near the chicken coops and this one chicken, Priscilla, kept hopping up right next to me and clucking animatedly. She kept coming back and doing her little dance, to which all the other chickens would respond in turn. I thought that Priscilla was just a really smart, personable chicken and I was feeling quite nice about my affinity with farm animals and farming in general.

Today I happened to walk by the table where I had been working and, lo and behold, there was Priscilla nesting in the box that I had been using. Apparently I had stolen her makeshift nesting box to use as the box for my leftover garlic and that is why she was so talkative. No, she wasn't simply drawn to my amazing Dr. Doolittle qualities and wanting to be my friend. I had stolen her box and she needed to get in there fast and drop that egg! I had a good laugh about that one. Here is a photo of Priscilla and one of her nesting box.






Our eggs are so free-range, they're laid in sustainably farmed dried garlic under a canopy of Eucalyptus trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment