Monday, February 1, 2010

Website and Hoes

Monday, February 1, 2010:

Nope, you're eyes don't deceive you...I really am posting two days in a row. I'm trying to write a bit each day so that everyone out there in reader land can understand what we do as modern day urban farmers.

So, on to the days happenings. This winter, I've been determined to be more organized and on top of things. Deciding to be more administratively thoughtful when in the midst of picking 8 hours a day and then planting and selling to boot doesn't work well at all. This winter has been my time to get stuff straight - we have calendars, files, post its, envelopes, and fliers everywhere.

Also on my list was to finally build a website. This blog was a start, but we really need a website to make our business more efficient and visible. So, I put on my computer pro hat and built us a website! It's nothing fancy, mind you, but it gets the job done for now. It will undoubtedly grow as the season progresses, so look for amazing things to come. The address is www.redwoodempirefarm.com. Catchy, right? Well, today I worked out some website kinks and put it up in its most complete form yet.

The other item on my agenda was to order myself a new hoe. This time of year it is a constant battle to protect the onions and garlic that are growing from the weeds. I've been using an ancient hula hoe, but it's heavy, unwieldy, and I find it to be incredibly awkward to handle. So, I bought myself a fancy little hand hoe doodad that they claim is like an "extension of your own finger nail." That sounds like a good deal to me! Because right now, I'm so dissatisfied with my hoeing performance that I usually end up using my real fingernails to dig the weeds out of the dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment