Thursday, April 29, 2010

Whirled Peas for All!

Every year, I look forward to the point during the spring when the farm starts producing food that I can pick right off the plant and eat. Farming is hard work, so it's nice when there are things to satisfy my appetite growing all around me. For me, sugar snap peas mark the beginning of the readily edible farm season. Yeah, I can pick a leaf of arugula and munch on it, but it's not nearly as satisfying as a sweet, crunchy, amazingly flavorful sugar snap pea. I went for a run this morning and when I got home, I picked some sugar snaps and ate them. Let me tell you, they were far more quenching than Gatorade and certainly better for me. Hopefully, for our customers' sakes, I'll be able to control myself and leave some peas for the market this weekend.

Aside from eating peas, we've been working hard getting stuff planted. Despite the rain, we managed to plant more sweet peppers (colored bells and Italian roasters), the first Armenian cucumbers (hallelujah!), eggplant, summer squash, lettuce, and arugula. Tomorrow, along with picking for Saturday's market, we will plant our first heirloom tomatoes. Every day we try to do a little more, moving us ever closer to the delicious peak season harvests. We're just hoping that we get a break from the rain and that we have a real, warm summer. Because if we get the right weather, I'm telling you right now, you will never have seen piles like we are planning to build. If I have my way, we'll have so many tomatoes that we will have to have the First Annual Rincon Valley Tomato Fight Festival. So say a prayer, wish us luck, or keep your fingers crossed for us, because we have a long haul ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment