Saturday, April 3, 2010

Multimedia Presentation

I really like going to the farmer's market, but sometimes, when the day is over, I just don't have any words left. So instead of trying to make sense out of my tired and addled mind, I'm going to blog by picture. Enjoy!

Here's an extremely rinky-dinky video of Jeff driving the tractor. He's pulling an attachment called a disk, which breaks up the top couple feet of soil and mixes in any green manure that was growing there (cover crop, grass, basically anything that will benefit the soil when turned back in). Pardon the poor video quality - I took it with my ancient digital camera and, besides, I never claimed "professional camera person" as one of my innumerable talents. Ha!




Here's one of the meat birds as a 2 day year old chick.


Here's one of the same birds 7 weeks later. They may be big, but they're still young and supple.


About a month ago we got Rob the Honey Guy to bring us a couple of bee boxes. Rob sells close to us at the Santa Rosa Market, always has quarters to spare, and is thus our go-to guy when it comes to honey matters. The bees started flourishing immediately upon arrival and we've noticed a marked increase in bee activity around the farm. Bees are awesome because not only are they good indicators of the health of the overall farm ecosystem, but they also increase pollination for our veggies and fruit trees.


Now who wouldn't want to plant cover crop? It's so beautiful! I much prefer the look of vibrantly blooming fields over bare dirt. I was half tempted to pick bouquets of cover crop and take it to the market.



It's hard to tell, but that's a chicken running up the path in front of me. Our chickens are a little beyond free range. They're just plain wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment