Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May Showers? I thought they were April showers...

I know that my life is special. As I write this, I am sitting outside waiting to send my freshly packed CSA bags home with their families. I hear roosters crowing, chickens clucking, I see cars driving by on the busy street, and I can hear the highway not too far away. I smell fennel wafting from the CSA bags, the smell of yesterday's rain still lingers, and, occasionally, I get a whiff of the flower garden a couple hundred feet from where I sit. While I sit here, Jeff is cruising around the farm, working on a list of things longer than his arm. Even though we’re not working together at this very moment, it makes me so happy to be working with him on this farming project of ours. I know it’s not for everyone, but we work well together even though we’re a couple. Sure we have our moments of frustration with each other, but they are infrequent and usually short lived. My intention is not to gloat about my fortunate life; instead, I just want to offset all the moaning and groaning that we farmers do on a regular basis. I won’t lie. Farming is hard, exhausting work. But farming is what we love to do, it’s what we are good at, and I don't ever want to give in to the temptation to complain too much.

Farm Update:

Everything is growing like gangbusters. We have greens galore, the most beautiful head lettuces I have ever seen (have I mentioned that Jeff is really, really good at growing things?), a jungle of fava beans, fennel, beets, herbs, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and much more. Despite the rainy weather, plants continue to grow and we continue to work. It's crazy to me how, if I pay close enough attention, I can actually watch the farm grow. Sometimes I will intentionally look at one of the younger squash plants in the morning and go back at the end of the day just to see how much it has changed. I do the same thing with seedlings in the greenhouse. A baby plant just starting to poke its elbow out of the soil can double or even triple in size by the end of the day. It's just amazing.

Here are some recent farm pictures:

A Mama Hen and Her Babies

Heirloom Tomatoes...yum!

Spring onions starting to bulb

No comments:

Post a Comment